(CNN) — Throughout the pandemic, US passport holders have seen an ever-morphing list of international travel options.
The only constant has been change. But compared with the sparse selection in the spring and summer of 2020, the choices now are plentiful. In the end, it’s up to you to decide whether travel to international destinations is a good idea.
The health risks are obvious if you’re not fully vaccinated. Venues and events of interest to travelers might impose restrictions. Nations might change their rules with little notice after you’ve made plans or you’re already on your trip.
Russia has invaded Ukraine, and the State Department has “do not travel” advisories for both.
For Russia, it is because of “unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces in Ukraine, the potential for harassment against U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, Covid-19 and related entry restrictions, terrorism, limited flights into and out of Russia, and the arbitrary enforcement of local law.” Click here for the full advisory.
For Ukraine, it is because of “armed conflict and Covid-19.” Click here for the full advisory.
What to find out before you go
What follows is a curated list of countries and territories, alphabetically organized by continent or region, where US passport holders are allowed entry for leisure travel.
Click the links by each destination for crucial information on:
• Whether you’re required to be fully vaccinated to enter. Some countries on this list accept only fully vaccinated Americans.
• Possible exemptions from various rules for the fully vaccinated, people recovered from a recent case of Covid-19 or children.
• Presenting negative results from Covid-19 tests to enter, including time limits to take the test, types of tests allowed and additional tests upon arrival.
• Possible quarantines and durations as well as health screenings upon arrival.
• Health insurance requirements, curfews and lockdowns.
• Different rules if you’re arriving from a third country vs. the United States as well as rules for land and sea entry, which might differ from air arrivals.
• What safety rating the CDC gives the destination
The links to various government and tourism sites next to each country will help you gather the most current information for your journey.
Africa offers a huge variety of travel options — outdoor adventures in just about any climate and a wide array of cultures and urban experiences. There are 54 countries on the continent — each with its own response to the pandemic. As of late March, many of the countries the CDC rated safest for travel regarding Covid-19 are in Africa.
The nations of northern Africa can be found in the Middle East and North Africa grouping further below.
• Botswana: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Cabo Verde (Cape Verde): US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Comoros: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast): US Embassy | Travel declaration and fee | CDC advisory
• Gabon (and São Tomé and Príncipe): US Embassy | Ministère du Tourisme (Facebook) | CDC advisory
• The Gambia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Ghana: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Kenya: US Embassy | Health form | Trusted Travel initiative | QR code | CDC advisory
• Madagascar: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Malawi: US Embassy | Trusted Travel | CDC advisory
• Mauritius: US Embassy | Mauritius entry requirements | CDC advisory
• Mozambique: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Namibia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Nigeria: US Embassy | Provisional travel protocol to Nigeria | CDC advisory
• Rwanda: US Embassy | Visit Rwanda | Passenger locator form | CDC advisory
• Senegal: US Embassy | Passenger location form | CDC advisory
• Seychelles: US Embassy | Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates | Travel authorization | CDC advisory
• South Africa: US Embassy | South African government | CDC advisory
• Tanzania: US Embassy | Health surveillance form | CDC advisory
• Uganda: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Zambia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Zimbabwe: US Embassy | CDC advisory
Generally, Asian destinations have been much slower to reopen to international tourism than the rest of world. Tourism giants such as Japan and China are still closed to US leisure travelers. However, more and more places have opened their doors to Americans on vacation, with the Philippines being one of the more recent ones. Malaysia is set to open April 1.
• Azerbaijan: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Bangladesh: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Cambodia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• India: US Embassy | India health declaration | New Delhi Airport Covid information | CDC advisory
• Indonesia (Bali): US Embassy | Indonesia consulate statement | Indonesia.travel | CDC advisory
• Maldives: US Embassy | Maldives’ official tourism website | CDC advisory
• Malaysia: US Embassy | Travel alerts | Malaysia requirements on Facebook | CDC advisory
• Nepal: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Pakistan: US Embassy | Pakistan government travel guidelines | CDC advisory
• Philippines: US Embassy | Philippines.travel | Presidential order | CDC advisory
• Singapore: US Embassy | SafeTravel Lane | CDC advisory
• South Korea: US Embassy | Self-diagnosis app | CDC advisory
• Sri Lanka: US Embassy | Sri Lankan Airlines travel alert | CDC advisory
• Thailand: US Embassy | Royal Thai Embassy | Certificate of entry | CDC advisory
• Vietnam: US Embassy | Vietnam.Travel | CDC advisory
Australia / Pacific Islands
Like Asia, this region has been taking a very cautious approach. Still, there have been a few Pacific island groups allowing US tourists to visit. And fully vaccinated Americans can now visit Australia. As of March 23, New Zealand was slated to open to Americans on May 1.
• Australia: US Embassy | Department of Home Affairs | CDC advisory
• Fiji: US Embassy | Fijian Immigration Department | CDC advisory
• French Polynesia: US Embassy | Islands of Tahiti | FAQ document | Online ETIS form | CDC advisory
• New Caledonia: US Embassy | New Caledonia Tourism | CDC advisory
In late March, many destinations in Europe were still under a “avoid” advisory from the CDC.
US tourists are still allowed to visit most destinations there, although full vaccinations are required in many of the countries.
• Albania: US Embassy | Tirana International Airport | CDC advisory
• Armenia: US Embassy | Armenia’s official Covid-19 travel website | CDC advisory
• Andorra: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Austria: US Embassy | Austria Entry Requirements | CDC advisory
• Belgium: US Embassy | Belgium Embassy | Belgium color codes for nations | Passenger Locator Form | CDC advisory
• Bosnia and Herzegovina: US Embassy | Bosnia Border Police | CDC advisory
• Bulgaria: US Embassy | Bulgariatravel.org | CDC advisory
• Croatia: US Embassy | Croatia official entry form | CDC advisory
• Cyprus: US Embassy in Nicosia | Visit Cyprus | CDC advisory
• Czech Republic: US Embassy | Czech Ministry of the Interior | Passenger Locator Form | CDC advisory
• Denmark: US Embassy | Denmark tourist information | CDC advisory
• Estonia: US Embassy | Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Health form | Zone list | CDC advisory
• Finland: US Embassy | Finland Border Guard | CDC advisory
• France: US Embassy | French Ministry of Foreign Affairs | CDC advisory
• Georgia: US Embassy | Georgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Entry registration | CDC advisory
• Germany: US Embassy | German Missions in the US | Germany digital registration | CDC advisory
• Greece: US Embassy | Ministry of Tourism | CDC advisory
• Hungary: US Embassy | Visit Hungary | CDC advisory
• Iceland: US Embassy | Iceland travel rules | Iceland travel registration | CDC advisory
• Ireland: US Embassy | Irish government travel page | Passenger locator form | CDC advisory
• Italy: US Embassy | Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation | Italy’s rules for Americans | Entry form | Digital passenger locator form | CDC advisory
• Latvia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Liechtenstein: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Lithuania: US Embassy | Travel Lithuania | Ministry of Health | Travel questionnaire | CDC advisory
• Luxembourg: US Embassy | Visiting Luxembourg | CDC advisory
• Malta: US Embassy | Visit Malta | Public Health Travel Declaration and the Passenger Locator forms | CDC advisory
• Monaco: Embassy of Monaco | Principaute de Monaco | CDC advisory
• Montenegro: US Embassy | Institute of Public Health of Montenegro | CDC advisory
• The Netherlands: US Embassy | Government of Netherlands | CDC advisory
• North Macedonia: US Embassy | TAV Macedonia | CDC advisory
• Norway: US Embassy | Government of Norway | CDC advisory
• Poland: US Embassy | Polish Tourism Organisation | CDC advisory
• Portugal: US Embassy | Visit Portugal | Passenger locator card | CDC advisory
• Romania: US Embassy | Romanian Embassy | CDC advisory
• Serbia: US Embassy | Ministry of Foreign Affairs | CDC advisory
• Slovakia: US Embassy | Slovakia Information Centre | Registration to enter | CDC advisory
• Slovenia: US Embassy | Government of Slovenia | CDC advisory
• Spain: US Embassy | Ministry of Health | Spain Travel Health portal | Spain travel FAQs | CDC advisory
• Sweden: US Embassy | Swedish Police Authority | CDC advisory
• Switzerland: US Embassy | Swiss Travel Check | Swiss travel FAQs | CDC advisory
• United Kingdom: US Embassy | UK government | Passenger locator form | Declaration form | CDC advisory
Middle East / North Africa
Rich in culture and history, destinations in the Middle East and North Africa are also trying to deal with a modern pandemic just like the rest of the world.
• Bahrain: US Embassy | Bahrain International Airport | BeAware Bahrain app | CDC advisory
• Dubai: See United Arab Emirates below
• Egypt: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Israel: US Embassy | Israel Ministry of Health | Entry form | CDC advisory
• Jordan: US Embassy | Declaration form | Health form (PDF) | CDC advisory
• Lebanon: US Embassy | Ministry of Public Health Memos | CDC advisory
• Morocco: US Embassy | Visit Morocco | CDC advisory
• Oman: US Embassy | Foreign Ministry of Oman | CDC advisory
• Qatar: US Embassy | Visit Qatar | Ministry of Health | Entry portal to Qatar | CDC advisory
• Saudi Arabia: US Embassy | VisitSaudi.com | US advisory
• Tunisia: US Embassy | Online questionnaire | CDC advisory
• Turkey: US Embassy | Form for entry | CDC advisory
• United Arab Emirates: US Embassy | UAE government travel site | CDC advisory
North America / Caribbean
North America and the Caribbean now give US leisure travelers plenty of travel options with a relatively short plane ride. Be sure to check disembarking rules if you take a Caribbean cruise.
• Anguilla: US Embassy | Anguilla International Travelers | CDC advisory
• Antigua and Barbuda: US Embassy | Antigua and Barbuda government website | CDC advisory
• Aruba: US consulate | Aruba’s official tourism site | embarkation and disembarkation card | Aruba Visitors Insurance | CDC advisory
• The Bahamas: US Embassy | Bahamas travel website | Bahamas Travel Health Visa | CDC advisory
• Barbados: US Embassy | Visit Barbados website | BIMSafe travel app | CDC advisory
• Belize: US Embassy | Belize Tourism Board | CDC advisory
• Bermuda: US Embassy | Bermuda Tourism Authority | CDC advisory
• Bonaire: US consulate| Bonaire Crisis | Health declaration form | CDC advisory
• British Virgin Islands: US Embassy | BVI government website | BVI Gateway website | CDC advisory
• Canada: US Embassy | Canada Services Border Agency | CDC advisory
• Cayman Islands: US Embassy | Cayman Islands government | CDC advisory
• Costa Rica: US Embassy | Visit Costa Rica website | Health pass form | CDC advisory
• Curaçao: US consulate | Traveling to Curaçao | Curaçao news bulletins | Passenger locator card | CDC advisory
• Dominica: US Embassy | Discover Dominica | Online registration portal | CDC advisory
• Dominican Republic: US Embassy | GoDominicanRepublic.com | Electronic entry and exit form | CDC advisory
• El Salvador: US Embassy | Government entry information | CDC advisory
• Grenada: US Embassy | Grenada’s Ministry of Health | CDC advisory
• Guadeloupe: US consulate | Guadeloupe Islands | CDC advisory
• Guatemala: US Embassy | Online health pass | CDC advisory
• Honduras: US Embassy | Online precheck form | CDC advisory
• Jamaica: US Embassy | Visit Jamaica website | CDC advisory
• Martinique: US consulate | Martinique requirements | CDC advisory
• Mexico: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Nicaragua: US Embassy | Avianca Airlines | CDC advisory
• Panama: US Embassy | Visit Panama | CDC advisory
• Saba: US consulate | Saba Tourism | Saba EHAS application | CDC advisory
• Sint Maarten (shares island with the French collectivity of Saint-Martin): US consulate | Sint Maarten | Health authorization application | Covid-19 health insurance | CDC advisory
• St. Barts: US consulate | St. Barts entry protocols | St. Barts tourism | St. Barts requirements (PDF) | CDC advisory
• St. Kitts and Nevis: US Embassy | St. Kitts Tourism | Travel authorization form | CDC advisory
• St. Lucia: US Embassy | St. Lucia travel website | CDC advisory
• St. Vincent and the Grenadines: US Embassy | Covid-19 protocol documents | Official prearrival form | CDC advisory
• Trinidad and Tobago: US Embassy | TTravelPass | CDC advisory
• Turks and Caicos: US Embassy | Visit Turks and Caicos | Travel authorization form | CDC advisory
South America’s pandemic journey has mirrored the rest of the world in terms of mixed responses. Brazil has been wide open for the long haul while Argentina just recently opened to US travelers.
• Argentina: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Bolivia: US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Brazil: US Embassy | Health declaration | CDC advisory
• Chile: US Embassy | C19 health passport | Mobility pass | CDC advisory
• Colombia: US Embassy | Colombia’s travel website | Check Mig entry portal | CDC advisory
• Ecuador (including Galapagos Islands): US Embassy | CDC advisory
• Paraguay: US Embassy | Health ministry | Current health requirement for entry | CDC advisory
• Peru: US Embassy | Lima airport protocols | PROMPERÚ | Affidavit of health | CDC advisory
• Uruguay: US Embassy | CDC advisory
This is a curated list and not a complete catalog of every single destination open to visitors from the United States.
CNN Travel has omitted certain countries if they: had very limited numbers of American travelers before the pandemic; are very isolated or have little to no tourism infrastructure; have ongoing or recent armed conflicts, terrorism or rampant crime and unrest; have a current credible threat of warfare; have antagonistic relations with the US government; or have entry requirements so extensive and complicated that they put the country out of reach of almost all US citizens.
However, you can click here to directly check for the status and entry requirements of any country or territory in the world you wish to visit.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.