Two men escape home explosion triggered by clothes dryer

WALDOBORO, Maine (AP) — The Maine fire marshal’s office says two men escaped a home propane explosion triggered by a basement clothes dryer that knocked the building off its foundation.

Maine Public Safety Department spokesman Steve McCausland said one of the men turned on the dryer late Thursday and the explosion happened in Waldoboro.

He said the men escaped through a basement window.

He identified the men as 59-year-old Robert Keefe and his 28-year-old son, Ryan Keefe, both from Dracut, Massachusetts. Both are being treated at Maine Medical Center for serious burns.

McCausland said the men were opening up the home for the season on behalf of the owner. A fired caused by the explosion burned the house to the ground.

(Copyright (c) 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)