PARIS (AP) — The Paris prosecutor’s office has opened a manslaughter inquiry into the May crash of an EgyptAir plane that killed 66 people, saying there is no evidence so far to link it to terrorism.
Prosecutor’s office spokesman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre said the inquiry was launched Monday as an accident investigation, not a terrorism investigation. She said authorities are “not at all” favoring the theory that the plane was brought down deliberately.
The decision to open the investigation was based on evidence gathered so far, she said, without elaborating.
The French-manufactured plane, en route from Paris to Cairo, crashed in the Mediterranean May 19. Search teams have recovered its two flight recorders, which have not yet been analyzed. The reason for the crash remains unclear.
(Copyright (c) 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)