A lot of people are trying to eat healthier in the new year, but that’s not the easiest thing to do. Healthy food isn’t always the tastiest option. Here’s a way to change that by making a favorite dish a little healthier.
Roast Chicken w/ Blackening Spice Ward 8
- 2 cups Paprika
- ½ cup Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Garlic Powder
- 1 cup onion powder
- ¼ cup white pepper
- ¼ cup black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup dried thyme
- ½ cup dried parsley
One whole chicken
1. Mix all spices store in a container. You will not need all this spice mix for one chicken. Store and use for another time or make a smaller amount.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil the chicken and generously sprinkle with the spice mix. Place the chicken on a rack and bake for about 45 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
3. Let the chicken cool down a little before de-boning (cool enough to handle). Take the shredded chicken and mix with more of the spice mix, serve on salad.
Parmesan Streusel Ward 8
- 1 ½ cups All purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ lb soft butter
1. Mix the parmesan and the flour in a bowl. Add the soft butter and mix into the flour and cheese ( your hands probably work the best for this)
2. Keep mixing until the dough form then crumble on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Until it is golden brown all the way to the center of the pan.
3. Let cool and crumble mixture in a container to store. Before serving re-heat in the oven for just a couple minutes.
Caesar Dressing Ward 8
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 4 egg yolk, or 2 oz pasteurized egg yolk
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces anchovies (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups canola oil
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a food processor add garlic, egg yolk, lemon juice, Dijon, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and anchovies (if you decide to use them). Turn on for about 10 seconds to combined ingredients.
2. While machine is running slowly add the canola oil and then the olive oil. A slow steady stream will work perfect.
3. Next add the parmesan and pulse a couple of times to incorporate cheese.
4. Taste, this is the time to customize your dressing. Salt, pepper, cheese, lemon juice Remember that romaine lettuce is very watery so the dressing should be very flavorful as the salad will dilute the flavor of the dressing.