St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with the staple meal.
Lansdowne Shepherd’s Pie
¼ cup canola oil
2 pounds ground lamb
2 pounds ground beef
2 each onion, medium dice
4 each carrots, medium dice
4 tbs parsley, chopped
2/3 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ quarts lamb stock
Salt and pepper
1. Heat 2 tbs oil, add lamb & beef & cook until browned.
2. Remove from pan, reserving liquid.
3. Place liquid back in pan, add remaining canola oil.
4. Add onions & carrots, cook for 3 to 5 minutes until tender, do not brown.
5. Add parsley and thyme, cook 3 minutes.
6. Stir in flour, cook for 2 minutes, add stock.
7. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove the fond.
8. Add lamb to pot, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until the lamb is tender and sauce is thick.
9. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
10. Place in serving dish, top with mashed potatoes and bake in a 500 degree oven until potatoes are golden.