WINTHROP, MASS. (WHDH) - A woman is hospitalized with serious injuries after she was injured in a natural gas explosion while doing her laundry on Thursday night.

The explosion on Irwin Street displaced at least 20 people, who are being taken to a nearby hotel.

Neighbors say they heard an explosion that sounded like a low rumbling sound lasting several seconds.

“It wasn’t extremely loud. I was inside the house, I could hear it, but it did not shake the house,” said neighbor Roman Hohlenwerger.

Damage to the 12-unit building is evident inside, where the drop ceiling fell to the floor, cracks have appeared in the walls, and doors were blown off the hinges.

“We believe the building is structurally sound. There is some damage from the basement all the way up to taking the skylight off of the top of the fourth story here,” Winthrop Fire Chief Paul Flanagan said. “So, it was quite a blast.”

National Grid and first responders are working to clear the building.

Residents say they are worried about the woman who was so seriously burned. Doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital are doing their best to save her.

“I heard from the neighbor she was coming back from the movies,” Hohlenwerger said. “It was just a regular night for her.”

No additional details were immediately available.

This is a developing news story; stay with 7NEWS for updates online and on-air.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox