Woodstove to blame for house fire that claimed life of Westwood man

WESTWOOD, MASS. (WHDH) - A woodstove is to blame for a house fire that claimed the life of a 47-year-old man in Westwood last week.

Mike Lennon perished in the fire on the night of Jan. 10 that destroyed a home on 70 Tamarack Road.

State investigators say the fire started in the living room at the wood stove. Whether there was a failure of the woodstove, an ember escaped, or combustibles were too close to the stove remains unknown.

“On behalf of the Town of Westwood, I want to extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of Mr. Lennon,” said Westwood Fire Chief John Deckers.

RELATEDFundraiser launched for pregnant woman who lost husband in Westwood fire

A friend of Lennon’s wife, Lisa, said the couple were newlyweds and expecting a baby girl in May.

Family and friends of the couple have since set up a fundraiser.

Investigators deemed the fire accidental in nature.

A fatal fire in Oxford earlier this winter was also caused by a woodstove.

(Copyright (c) 2019 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)