Fresh Fruit and Chocolate Cremeux Trifle
9 oz Sugar
4 ½ oz All-purpose flour
1 pinch Salt
3 oz Cocoa powder
0.32 oz Baking soda
.15 oz Baking powder
1 tsp Vanilla
6 oz Buttermilk, liquid measure
2 each Eggs
6 oz Coffee, liquid measure
3 oz Butter, melted
1 cup Heavy cream
½ cup Milk
3 each Egg yolks
5 tbsp Sugar
8 oz Chocolate
1 pinch Salt
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Heavy cream
1 each Vanilla bean
Fresh berries, tossed in sugar
For Devil’s Cake:
1. Blend dry ingredients with paddle.
2. Add buttermilk.
3. Add eggs and vanilla.
4. Add coffee and melted butter.
5. Bake at 325-350 degrees for about 15-30 minutes until done in center.
For Chocolate Cremeux:
1. Bring cream, milk, sugar and salt to a boil.
2. Once milk mixture begins to simmer, temper yolks with a little warm milk mixture.
3. Stir yolks mixture into boiling milk and cook till thick while stirring for 10-30 seconds.
4. Strain yolk and milk mixture through fine mesh strainer over chocolate, stir until smooth.
5. Pour into desired dish or mold, cool to set before eating.
For Caramel Sauce:
1. Combine sugar with a small amount of water to make wet sand.
2. Put pot on stove, making sure no sugar is on sides of pot, and cook to medium amber.
3. Once to desired color, slowly add cream while stirring (being careful as caramel will sputter).
4. Add in scraped vanilla bean seeds, and set aside to col.
Have all your ingredients cool and ready to assemble. Assemble trifle in a nice glass or jar in alternating layers, starting with a layer of cremeux. Add fresh berries that have been tossed in sugar. Add a layer of whipped cream, then top with a piece of devil’s food cake. Add a layer of caramel sauce, and top with more berries. Add another layer of cremeux, and finish with whipped cream.
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)