LAWRENCE, MA (WHDH) - Some students in at the Bruce School in Lawrence will return to school Monday morning after a fire ripped through a science classroom last Monday.
Grades three to five will be back today but grades six through eight will wait to return next week.
All 545 students were safely evacuated from the school, located on Butler Street in Lawrence, last Monday after a fire sparked in a science classroom.
Crews first responded to the fire sometime after 8 a.m. Monday. The fire started on the second floor of the school and may have extended to the roof of the building.
“I was really nervous, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if my sister was safe or anything,” said student Melanie Castro.
There were no students in the room when the fire started, according to officials.
The school, located on 135 Butler St. in Lawrence, teaches children in grades 3 through 8. Lawrence Superintendent Jeff Riley credited the schools’ routine fire drills with getting everyone out of the school safely.
Students have been relocated to the Guilmette Middle School in the meantime, though some parents picked their children up early.
Fire crews put out the flames quickly. Officials said the fire is not believed to be suspicious and an electrical problem may be the cause.
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)