NEWTON, MASS. (WHDH) – Authorities have launched an investigation after a worker was killed in a wall collapse at a construction site in Newton on Thursday morning, officials said.

Emergency crews responding to a report of a wall collapse at a home under construction on Winchester Street around 8 a.m. found a 10-foot concrete wall that had fallen on a 55-year-old man in the backyard, according to a statement issued by Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan, Newton Fire Chief Gino Lucchetti, and Newton Police Chief Howard L. Mintz.

The man had been working in the foundation of the residence when the wall collapsed, pinning him to the ground, authorities say a preliminary investigation suggests.

A rescue mission was initiated, which turned into a recovery operation after crews learned that the man had died, Lucchetti added.

“We started out rescue operations. Into our rescue operations, we realized at a certain time that the person under the wall was not viable and it turned into a recovery operation,” he said.

Crews have since removed the body from underneath the wall.

The worker’s name has not been released.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Newton police and fire, and the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office are assisting with the investigation.

“This is a tragedy. Shouldn’t have happened. How do you figure a cement wall that size falls. There has to be a construction problem,” said neighbor Ralph Melen.

No additional information was immediately available.

This is a developing story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest updates.

(Copyright (c) 2021 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox