Father, son found dead from CO poisoning in Acushnet home

ACUSHNET, MA (WHDH) — Officials say two people have been found dead at a home in Acushnet.

According to the Bristol County DA’s office, two people — a father and a son — were found deceased in the home on Wednesday.

The cause was reported as carbon monoxide poisoning. Police say high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the home.

Authorities say they also found an unidentified powder in the home.

Police say they couldn’t reach the victims upon arrival because CO levels were too high.

The victims have been identified as Joseph Lopes, 41, and Collin Lopes, 9, of 3 Buttonwood Ln. in Acushnet.

Officials say there is no evidence of foul play.

Officials say Acushnet Police received a call from the mother of the boy, who is also the ex-wife of Joseph Lopes. She told police she had been unable to reach the pair.

Police found the victims during a well-being check Wednesday morning after being notified that Collin had not shown up for school.

Officials say two dogs were also in the home; one of them had died, and the other appeared to be ill.

This is a developing story; stay with 7News for continued updates as they become available.

(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)