Quick-thinking neighbors are being credited with helping to get a family out of a burning home in Salisbury on Saturday.

Crews responding to a reported blaze at 2 Second St. determined the fire started in the garage and spread to the more than 200-year-old home.

The now-charred house is owned by the town harbormaster, Ray Pike, whose family has lived in the area for 12 generations.

“He grew up in this house so a lot of memories for him,” Wendy Pike said. “It’s going to be tough.”

The entire family evacuated the home safely and Wendy credits her “great neighbors” for their help.

Wendy Pike, her husband, and their daughter were inside when they got an urgent knock at the door from a couple driving by.

“Her name was Grace and David and I said, ‘thank God for Grace’ and we’re going to need more grace to get through this,” Wendy said.

The flames prompted about a dozen fire departments to respond.

“It took quite a bit of resources and quite a bit of time, but at this point, we believe we have things under control,” Salisbury Fire Chief Scott Carrigan said.

The Pikes say they know what may have started the fire.

“We have a woodstove in the garage so it was probably the woodstove,” Wendy said.

No matter the cause, the Pikes have a tough road ahead, but fortunately, with caring neighbors by their side.

“We have the two properties so we can be right here and try to salvage through it or whatever we can get,” Wendy said.

A neighbor reassured Wendy, “It’s all going to work out.”

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox