Girl dies after choking on marshmallow at birthday party

A Massachusetts girl has died after choking on a marshmallow at a birthday party.

Police and a school official say that 11-year-old Azriel Estabrooks died at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence on Friday morning.

She had been there since she was found unconscious at a friend’s birthday party on Saturday.

Her mother, Iris Estabrooks, has said that about an hour after she dropped her daughter off, she got a call from the hosts saying Azriel had passed out.

She says no one found her until she was passed out on the floor, and no one realized she was choking.

When rescuers arrived, they found a marshmallow lodged in the girl’s throat.

Police have not identified the hosts.

(Copyright (c) 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)