Hospital shooter admitted to murdering mother in front of step-father, court docs say

NORTH HAVERHILL, N.H. (WHDH) — The man accused of fatally shooting his mother in the intensive care unit of New Hampshire’s largest hospital waived his Miranda rights and admitted to murdering her in front his step-father, according to court paperwork.

RELATEDSon accused of murdering mother inside New Hampshire hospital due in court

Travis Frink, 48, of Rhode Island, signed into the visitor center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon on Tuesday around 1:30 p.m. and went to the intensive care unit, where his 70-year-old mother was recovering, authorities said. Soon after, police received an emergency call reporting that there had been a shooting.

Frink appeared Wednesday afternoon in Grafton Superior Court, where he pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges. A judge ordered him held without bail. Per request of prosecutor Jane Young, Frink was ordered to have no contact with his step-father.

At about 5:20 p.m., Frink told officers that he drove up from Rhode Island and “shot his mother several times in her hospital bed,” the paperwork said. She was slated to be discharged Friday.

Attorney General Gordon MacDonald identified the shooting victim as Pamela Ferriere, of Groton. No other patients, visitors or workers were physically injured.

Frink’s step-father, Robert Ferriere, was said to be present in the room when he arrived. Frink requested time alone with his mother. His mother approved the request and his step-father left the room.

Ferriere said he heard a scream and then saw Frink opening fire on his mother, according to the paperwork. Frink then apparently placed the gun in a bag and walked out without saying a word.

The paperwork also indicated that the victim’s nurse told police she saw Frink holding a gun. At that point, the nurse said she ran from the room, took cover behind medical equipment and heard two gun shots ring out. She called 911.

Frink was detained as he tried to leave the grounds of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, authorities said. Police officers could be seen swarming a grey Toyota on a road leading away from the hospital.

The brazen shooting sparked panic as employees and patients were evacuated into the parking lot. People were told to avoid the area around the hospital, and traffic was stopped on a route leading to it.

A hospital employee said all workers received an email from the hospital about a “code silver,” indicating a violent situation is unfolding, telling them to get out if possible or to shelter in place.

In 2013, Frink’s ex-wife and her 3-year-old son were found dead inside a running car at an apartment complex in Rhode Island, according to a report in the Providence Journal.

You can view the court documents below:

State vs Frink — Page 1

State vs Frink — Page 2

State vs Frink — Page 3

State vs Frink — Page 4


(Copyright (c) 2019 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)