LOWELL, MASS. (WHDH) - City and school officials in Lowell announced Friday that a series of gas leaks that prompted the closure of the city’s high school has been deemed “safe” and that classes will resume as usual on Monday.

During a press conference at Lowell City Hall, City Manager Eileen Donoghue said the 40-year-old heating system in Lowell High School’s Riddick Fieldhouse has been inspected and deemed “safe” amid ongoing repairs.

The system will have to be completely replaced, she said, at a cost of about $255,000 for three units.

“We can no longer put band-aids on this system. We can no longer try to patch and replace parts,” Donoghue said.

The school was closed for several days last week as crews worked to fix the gas heating units.

Officials empathized that gas levels in the school were never considered dangerous.

“It was a very small amount. In order for an explosion to happen, it would have to be a very high concentration of gas,” Fire Chief Jeffrey Winward said. “That was never the case. The students and staff were always safe.”

The new systems have been ordered. In the meantime, gas has been shut off in the fieldhouse.

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox