A Michigan firefighter went above and beyond the call of duty when he decided to pay an electric bill for a sick teen’s family.
Last month, firefighter Ryan McCuen and his squad responded to a call at a mobile home in suburban Detroit. The family’s power had been cut off despite 18-year-old Troy Stone needing a ventilator to help him breathe. Troy has a severe form of muscular dystrophy and relies on seven different machines powered by electricity to keep him alive.
Troy’s father had been out of a job for over a year and despite returning to work, the family was still struggling. McCuen said he decided to help them out and said he would pay their electric bill of $1,023.76.
"It seemed obvious what the solution was, that they needed their bill paid," said McCuen. "Taking him to the hospital just creates another bill for these people."
Troy’s mother, Christy Stone, said he now calls McCuen his hero. After hearing about McCuen’s good deed, someone else donated a generator to the Stones, so they can keep Troy’s life support machines running if the power goes out again.
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)