Looking to whip up a tasty side dish perfect for any dinner? Try this family recipe for German potato salad.
German Potato Salad
This salad is often served warm, and gets its flavor from onions and bacon, with mustard as the main dressing. It does not use mayonnaise or cream.
- 8 medium sized German butterball or red new potatoes
- 1 package bacon, sliced thin
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin
- ¾ cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
1. Cook potatoes in their skins in salted water, over a simmer.
2. Melt bacon in medium size pot to render the fat slightly. Allow to color over medium heat slightly, then add onions. Cover with a lid and let cook on low about 30 minutes, or until the onions are very tender.
3. Remove the onion mix from the heat and add the honey, mustard, vinegar and chopped parsley.
4. Add the cooked potatoes to the onion mix and smash with a potato masher. Then stir well with a wooden spoon to fully incorporate the dressing. Season and taste.
5. Serve immediately or re-heat for a warm bacon-potato salad. This salad can be cooled and served from the refrigerator if desired.