An exploding hoverboard is being blamed for a house fire in Louisiana.

Jessica Horne said her son had plugged the hoverboard in to charge right before it exploded. The explosion destroyed his bedroom days before Thanksgiving.

"Both wheels, it was like fireworks," said Horne. "It was like a firework. I could see sparks just flying."

Firefighters who responded to the scene said they have heard reports of hoverboards exploding in other countries.

Horne said her son had only had his hoverboard for a day before it exploded. The family is now planning to sue the hoverboard company.

(Copyright (c) 2015 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox