Lahey Clinic’s ER back open after oxygen scare

PEABODY, Mass. (WHDH) — Several patients at the Lahey Clinic in Peabody were evacuated Sunday night because of an oxygen scare.

Six patients were evacuated around 8 p.m. There were only about 20 people inside the clinic at the time.

“It could cause a problem with causing a fire inside the hospital also if it comes out as a liquid it could cause a serious frost bite or burn,” said Dep. Chief Paul Hinchin of the Peabody Fire Department.

The patients were taken to a Burlington hospital. They didn’t have any symptoms of oxygen poisoning.

The concern was that the gas was leaking inside the hospital so they had to evacuate everyone in a 100-yard radius.

The emergency room is now back open.