Man dies, was smoking when clothes caught on fire

LEWISTON, Maine (AP) — Maine’s state fire marshal’s office says a 75-year-old man who was smoking died after his clothes caught on fire.

The office says Victor Lauze, of Lewiston, died Sunday night at Maine Medical Center in Portland. He was found inside his second-floor apartment with severe burns just after noon. Neighbors had heard his smoke detector going off.

Investigators say there was little damage to the apartment from the fire.

(Copyright (c) 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)