MARSHFIELD, MASS. (WHDH) - One man was arrested and another was taken to the hospital after a fight at a school bus stop in Marshfield Wednesday morning.

Oscar Anderson, 29, was arrested after an argument near a Starbucks Coffee on Route 139, police said. Marshfield Police Chief Phil Tavares said two fathers got into an altercation at the bus stop at around 8:15 a.m., and while they were fighting, a handgun fell to the ground.

One father was transported to the hospital after Anderson bit him, police said. Anderson also struck him in the head with a set of keys, according to police.

“It looked like a lion mauled him,” said Joel Coveney, who saw the man who was bitten.

Police said the victim called 911 while keeping track of the suspect.

“It takes a lot of courage. He was on the 911 line with us the whole time telling us play-by-play what was happening,” Tavares said.

One witness told 7NEWS there had been an altercation between the fathers’ children on Tuesday.

“I just know the father said, ‘Your kid’s been bullying my kid,'” said Breanna Rougeau, a mother. “I get being a parent, like if your kid’s getting bullied, you’re going to be upset. Like, I don’t want my kid bullied, I would be upset if my kid was bullied, but not to that degree.”

Marshfield High School, Furnace Brook Middle School, and Martinson Elementary School, all located nearby, were ordered to shelter in place for a bit Wednesday.

“Out of an abundance of caution, they asked those three schools to go into a Shelter In Place,” Superintendent Jeff Granatino said in a statement. “Students and staff remained in the Shelter In Place for approximately 25 minutes and then they resumed the regular school schedule when advised by police the situation was under control and there was no longer any threat. During a Shelter In Place, students and staff remain in their rooms, but teaching and learning is able to take place.”

Neighbors said they were worried for the children who were at the school bus stop at the time.

“You don’t want the kids to see that stuff, a gun falling out of the pants,” said Pam Kelley, who lives near Anderson.

“This is not something that they see, you know, so yeah, they’re going to be — all of them — are going to be very upset, I think, about this. I mean, that’s crazy to happen at a bus stop, really. It’s upsetting. It really is,” said Jenna Harding, whose son was at the school bus stop.

Police are actively searching for the gun, bringing in gun-sniffing dogs and using metal detectors. Officers were seen looking through bushes and woods, sorting through trash and dumpsters, and examining sewer grates.

Anderson was charged with assault and battery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, disorderly conduct, and disturbing the peace. He also has no license to carry and an open warrant out of Texas, according to police.

This is a developing story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest updates.

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox