(WHDH) — A 3-year-old boy died during a recent trip to the dentist after he suffered an apparent reaction to medication that he was given during a procedure, police said.

The child was having some teeth pulled at a dental office in Wichita, Kansas, when he suddenly became unresponsive, KAKE-TV reported, citing a police spokesperson.

“It is believed that the child had an unanticipated reaction to medicine provided during the course of his dental procedures,” the spokesperson told the news outlet.

In a GoFundMe post, loved ones identified the boy as Abiel Valenzuela Zapata.

“This is incredibly heartbreaking for the family, and there are a lot of unknowns at this time,” the post read. “As a parent I cannot possibly imagine the pain of losing a child. The family needs time and space to grieve, and I wish for them to not have worry about financial expenses while doing so.”

Authorities have not launched a criminal investigation into the incident.

(Copyright (c) 2021 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox