NORWOOD, MASS. (WHDH) - Authorities have identified the man who died in an ammonia leak at Home Market Foods in Norwood on Monday, officials said.

Emergency crews responding to a reported leak around noon found an ammonia leak in a commercial building on Morgan Drive. The state hazardous materials team responded to the scene.

A worker, Richard J. Arguin, 68, of Dighton, died as a result of the leak. Another person was taken to the hospital.

In a statement, Home Market Foods said, “There was an accident at our Norwood plant today involving two HVAC contractors.  As they were working, it appears an ammonia pipe was severed. One of the contractors was able to escape with injuries.  Tragically the second contractor did not make it out and he died. Our hearts go out to his family.  It is just so sad and horrific.”

No additional information was immediately available.

This is a developing news story; stay with 7NEWS on-air and online for the latest details.

(Copyright (c) 2024 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox