The owner of the once popular Fenway bar "Who’s On First?" is asking for a second chance.
The bar was shut down last year after a string of shootings outside the bar.
The sign outside has been touting changes are coming, and it’s now clear it’s the name that’s changing.
The owner went before the licensing board Wednesday morning and asked for the name of the bar to be changed to "The Bullpen," promising to make it a more family-friendly establishment.
"I’d get concerned night club problems, there’s been a history of problems there, more of a family-type restaurant is something that seems to be more in line with the neighborhood," Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said.
The Fenway night spot has been closed since early February after MBTA train conductor Jepthe Chery was shot and killed outside the bar on Thanksgiving Day.
Two months before that incident, two women were stabbed outside as well.
The licensing board said the bar was not responsible, but police have said it is a trouble spot.
The Red Sox controls the lease and would only say there are ongoing discussions about the future of the space.
For those who have long known this to be Who’s On First, a new name won’t soon change how they see the place.
"That’s how I’ll always think of it, just Who’s On First, so probably will not change what I think of place what it used to be but newcomers, tourists, they won’t know much about it," said Kaleigh Kfoury, who works in the area.
The licensing board will vote on the changes on Thursday.
(Copyright (c) 2016 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)